[mythtv-users] No sound watching TV

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Mon May 7 10:08:10 UTC 2007

> "The integrated hda sound works but doesn't let you do a loopback from
> line in to line out with current alsa drivers." (
> http://www.awe.com/mark/blog/200702271100.html)

But the fact I do not have line in shoud just avoid hearing the live TV,
a thing that we do not want, anyway.

However, using mplayer, I can record the TV and playback the result with
sound. In this case, I should not use the arecord stuff.  As a matter of
fact, I just do no hear anything while recording , but the resulting avi has
sound.

What makes me believe that the problem is OSS/Alsa in myth.
Since I have never looked myth code before, I do not know where to start.
Does recording use OSS only?

The relevant part of my mplayer script is below.
Therefore, I can record live TV. But without myth, is like going back to the
stone age again.

The environment variables from my script are not important:

# sudo nice -n -19 \
mencoder tv://${CHN} \
-quiet \
-oac mp3lame -lameopts br=${ABR}:vbr=0:mode=0 \
-ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=${VBR} \
-ffourcc XVID \
-tv driver=v4l2:\
norm=pal-m:\
chanlist=us-cable:\
amode=1:\
alsa:adevice=hw.0:\
fps=$FPS:\
input=$ISRC:\
width=640:height=480:\
brightness=$BRT:\
contrast=$CNT:\
saturation=$SAT \
-vf crop=${CRP}${PP} \
-o
$ODR/movie-640x480-${VBR}vkbps-${ABR}akbps-pal-m-${FPS}fps-deint${PP}-`date
+%H:%M-%d-%m-%Y`.avi \
-endpos $RDT