[mythtv-users] No sound watching TV

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Sun May 6 21:45:14 UTC 2007

On 5/6/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> On 05/06/2007 01:52 PM, Nick Morrott wrote:
> > On 06/05/07, Paulo Cavalcanti <promac at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I have an Intel D975XBX2 mobo,
> >> which has no alsa line in channel yet.
> >>
> >> Following one of myth's howto I am
> >> using for now
> >>
> >> arecord -D hw:0,0 -d 0 -f dat | aplay &
> >>
> >>  for sending the line in input to pcm.
> >> It works fine for any application accessing the capture card,
> >> mplayer, tvtime, gnome radio, etc ..
> >>
> >> but not for watching TV with mythtv. Completely dumb, in this case.
> >>

> > Doesn't MythTV still require using /dev/dsp and OSS emulation?
>
> Audio capture during recording is written to use the OSS API (and,
> therefore, uses /dev/dsp*).  Playback can be done using either ALSA or
> OSS.
>
> See, also, http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/3405 (which needs some
> work, but is, at least, in progress).
>
> However, I don't know how that relates to the OP's question as he seems
> to be doing something very soundcard-specific-workaround-like...

I tried this also

 sox -w -r 441000 -t ossdsp /dev/dsp -t ossdsp /dev/dsp

and got the same result. Works fine for everything but myth.

I am using

snd-hda-intel, model=ref

from latest alsa driver (1.0.14 rc3).

I think it is a question of time until alsa implements the line in channel,
but I really do not understand why the work around did not work for myth.

Everything else is working just fine. Only the sound while watching TV is
missing.

Thanks for the help.

/Paulo Roma.