[mythtv-users] How to make an SPDIF out for ASUS motherboards

Reza Naima reza at reza.net
Sun May 6 20:07:48 UTC 2007

I've not tested this, but I'm fairly sure it works.  The breakout
connector to give you spdif out is out of stock, so I did a bit of
research.  By looking at a photo of it, and doing some reading on spdif,
I think this is the circuit that's on the breakout connector.

         100nF
  TTL ----||-----330ohm--+--------- coax S/PDIF signal out
  in                     |
                      100ohm

 Ground -----------------+--------- coax signal ground

 (From http://www.epanorama.net/documents/audio/spdif.html )

And the connector (on my motherboard - M2NPV-VM) is 4 pins with the pins
being

+5V UNUSED SSPDIFOUT GND

so you need something that'll connect to the motherboard (reuse some
connector -- i think the ones that connect to the back of cdroms/dvdroms
should work), add two resistors and a cap, and solder it onto an RCA
female connector.  That should be it.

Reza