[mythtv-users] Xorg: TV Screen Resolution?

Denis Papathanasiou denis.papathanasiou at gmail.com
Sun May 6 17:01:39 UTC 2007

> You'll want to setup your device and screen sections similar to this:
>
> Section "Device"
>  Identifier "RADEON-TVOut"
>  Driver "radeon"
>  Option "AGPMode" "4"
>
>  Option "AGPFastWrite" "yes"
>  Option "TVOutput" "NTSC"
>  Option "IgnoreEDID" "true"
>  Option "MonitorLayout" "NONE, CRT" #here it is!
>
>  EndSection
>
>  Section "Monitor"
>  Identifier "TV Monitor"
>  HorizSync 30.0 - 40.0
>  VertRefresh 60
>  Modeline "800x600" 40.00 800 840 968 1056 600 601 605 628
>
>  EndSection
>
>  Section "Screen"
>  Identifier "TV Screen"
>  Device "RADEON-TVOut"
>  Monitor "TV Monitor"
>  DefaultDepth 16
>
>  SubSection "Display"
>  Depth 16
>  Modes "800x600"
>  EndSubSection
>  EndSection

Shawn, thanks for the quick reply and example xorg.conf entries.

It's still the same, though: i.e., at initial boot the screen output
to TV is perfect, but when the X server starts (at the Fedora login
prompt), the image becomes scrambled.

> You'll need to add another monitor (your tv) with the correct vert refresh
> and horiz sync.  You can find this either on the back of the television or
> in the user manual.

I suspect this is the problem: unfortunately, my TV manual
(http://www.sharpusa.com/files/tel_man_27F641.pdf) doesn't specify the
horizontal and vertical rates to use, and the default ones (from your
example) don't seem to be the correct ones for my TV.

Other than trying random values in horizontal and vertical, what else can I try?

Is there a way to capture the settings from initial boot (when the TV
output is clear) and apply them to my xorg file?