[mythtv-users] dvb-t picture problems - ideas?

Gary Dawes gary.dawes at gmail.com
Sun May 6 09:29:17 UTC 2007

Hi

I have a combined be/fe, running knoppmyth r5e50, with updated dvb drivers
from around the middle of feb this year, and 3  freecom dvb-t usb tuners,
and  1 pvr-150, and I have a couple  of  persistant and really annoying
problems. I'm in the UK using freeview

The first  problem is that I get picture corruption on the freeview signal
on the dvb-t tuners, it is really noticable on motion in the picture. I get
the odd other artifact, and some audio glitchs, but it's mainly the
corruption on motion which is a pain. I've got all the tuners on usb
extension leads, well away from the PC. They all have short highly screened
flyleads connecting each one to a seperate output on a multiple way signal
amplifier. The antenna lead terminates as it comes through a window, and has
a highly screened lead from that to the signal amp. By highly screened I
have "digital" coax flyleads, and I have also tried flyleads made up from
CT100 double screened cable.

I get no interference on any of the analogue channels, or on either of the 2
freeview settop boxes also connected. This all started after I ran a
reinstall, so I don''t think it's an antenna or cable fault to be honest, as
it's too much of a coincidence. All freeview channels get an immediate lock
using live TV, and experience has shown that live tv ( for some reason )
seems to be fussier than recording alone.

I did change to a different motherboard and case, but I have had it working
great since then, with r5e50 as well. I have also ran through the upgrade 2
or 3 times as well.

I have ran though every thing I can think of.

The second is with the pvr-150 which is hooked up to a cable box via
comp-video. the cable box is set to 16:9, the recording profile for the card
is set to 16:9. When I test the output from the box on the tv, it displays
16:9, but  when I play any recordings or use live tv on that card it is 4:3
with black bars when I have no aspect ratio forced, freeview recordings are
16:9. It is fine when I force the aspect, but I'd rather not do that as it
messes up the dvd playback. Any ideas?

thanks

Gary