[mythtv-users] Awsome Case For Myth Frontend!

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Thu May 3 16:23:26 UTC 2007

Eric Smith wrote:
> Are there any concerns about the included 200W PS?  I guess with
> onboard video this becomes less of a problem, but this is obviously
> very low by today's standards?

I suspect power supply numbers are sort of like snake oil....  Newer PS
makers play a numbers game.

I have an ancient HP server with a claimed 225W PS.  That wimpy PS
pulled 4 IDE drives, 2 P-III CPUs, and 4 PCI cards for better than 9
years without a glitch.  It's still running with 4 IDE drives but with 2
PCI cards as my backup server.  That thing puts out A LOT of heat; the
room it was in didn't need heating in the winter, and needed its own
window AC unit in the summer.

I've had advertised 500W PS smoke on starting 4 IDE drives...

As with many things, it's the quality of the hardware, and not
necessarily the printing on the box it ships in.

--Yan