[mythtv-users] Processor recommendations - low power, low heat, enough oomph was: Awsome Case

David Rees drees76 at gmail.com
Thu May 3 15:58:20 UTC 2007

On 5/3/07, Brian <blistmail at comcast.net> wrote:
> I *was* considering an Opteron 170 for my new FE/BE but I've had poor
> results temperature-wise with my Opteron 185 workstation. It runs extremely
> hot (40C idle, 64C load) and I'm debating on returning the processor. While
> I haven't measured, I'm sure the CPU cooler on my Opty 185 is MUCH taller
> than 40mm. This is a bummer as I have four 939 m/bs and 8Gb of DDR400 RAM
> kicking around. Maybe it's time to do some selling on eBay. (ugh!)

Do you have CnQ turned on and running? Idle temps should be very low,
but otherwise I would not worry about the load temps, 65C shouldn't
kill it.

John Drescher's comments are good, if you search the archives you
should find that even his recommendation of the Athlon 64 X2 3600+
should also play HD fine.

-Dave