[mythtv-users] live tv issues

Brett Stevens brett at inngineering.com
Thu May 3 01:22:50 UTC 2007

> Brett Stevens wrote:
>> Hi guys, I have an interesting issue that I cannot seem to find an
>> answer
>> to...
>>
>> I have two systems both of which can run a single system myth setup with
>> absolutely no problems. Both have been rebuilt over and over to get this
>> right.
>>
>> The problem is when I split them up so as to run a master backend and
>> frontend on one and a standard backend / frontend on the other. They are
>> connected with intel e1000 nics connected to a 100mbs switch. The
>> network
>> as plenty of capacity to handle many video streams including multiple
>> mpeg2 streams. The server hd access is via raid5 lvm on new 250gb sata
>> disks
>>
>> All in all I would have to say that capacity access and network is all
>> good
>>
>> however when I change the system over to the distributed model live tv
>> breaks down becomes very blocky and seems to drop large numbers of
>> frames.
>>
>> Ive posted this to the lists before and always assumed that it was my
>> version of myth my hardware etc. Ive now upgraded my hardware and myth
>> versions to the latest to no avail.
>>

> Looks like the mpeg is damaged in some way (but you knew that).
>
> The first thing I'd do is to prove out the network. The hardware specs
> indicate it *should* be up to the task, but is it really performing as
> it should be?
>
> I'd try some test transfers outside of Myth, perhaps bonnie on an
> nfs-mounted filesystem as well.
>
> Does ifconfig show any errors? Do you perhaps have interrupt conflicts
> on the NICs?
>
> I've read someplace about 100 speed switches, especially consumer grade
> ones, having trouble with GB NICS and stacks, I'll try and find that
> info if I can.

Great questions

Bonnie output from the nfs share is
Seeker 1...Seeker 2...Seeker 3...start 'em...done...done...done...
              -------Sequential Output-------- ---Sequential Input--
--Random--
              -Per Char- --Block--- -Rewrite-- -Per Char- --Block---
--Seeks---
Machine    MB K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU  /sec
%CPU
         1024  9003 26.2  9683 10.5  5290  0.5 11224 10.6 1565038 101.5
950.1  1.7

seems ok to me but I could be wrong.

ifconfig shows 0 errors and 0 collisions on both systems

I think the problem may be deeper but Im not sure where to look now.

As I mentioned in an erlier post. Now if I was to revert back to a single
system setup the problem will still occur, Also the problem still occurs
if I set the recordings dir to a local dir. I feel fairly strongly that it
is not a resource issue.

thanks for the assistance Im completely stumped if someone can pointy me
at some further areas to look that would be great....

thanks again

Brett