[mythtv-users] nf-m2 motherboard alternatives?

Shane Hickey shane at howsyournetwork.com
Wed May 2 16:06:51 UTC 2007

"Dawning Sky" <the.dawning.sky at gmail.com> [2007-05-02 00:14]:
> > Woah.  VGA->component, eh?  Ok.  I'll go down that route.  Of
> > course, this now means that I'll have to figure out how to get good
> > multi-channel output out of my nf-m2 board.
> >

> Or you can get another cheap PCIe video card that has S-Video.

I think I have one open slot on my rig and it's AGP, but that should be
fine.  I wonder if that'd be better/worse than using a converter like
http://www.ramelectronics.net/HTML/9A60.html

Does anyone have any experience using those converters?

> As for the multi-channel output thru  S/PDIF, as I understand it, you
> need AC3 source in the first place.  Test with a DVD.  ALSA driver
> won't re-encode the sound into AC3.  But I may be wrong on this.

Hmm... I'll try that, but I thought the speaker-test utility from Alsa would do that.

> The real problem I found with NF-M2 is the placement of several
> capacitors near the two PCI slots.  I don't know who violated the
> specs, but I had to break some plastics off my pcHDTV-3000 card in
> order to make it fit.

I had a hell of a time getting my pci cards seated.  But, that seemed to be because the slot in the motherboard that accepts the metal "foot" of the card was too close to the edge of the case.  So, I had to slightly bend the last 1/4" of the metal part to get it to pop in.

Shane

--
Shane Hickey <shane at howsyournetwork.com>: Network/System Consultant
GPG KeyID: 777CBF3F