[mythtv-users] Ubuntu Edgy -> Feisty upgrade report

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed May 2 13:43:51 UTC 2007

David Campbell wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
>> Brian J. Murrell wrote:
>>> Right, but the point I keep trying to make that seems to keep getting
>>> lost is that if you are a new user to Linux, you should not be hacking
>>> around in configuration files.  New users should use tools until they
>>> understand what it is they are hacking around in.  The tools should do
>> We have a total difference of philosophy here.
>>
>> A lot of people run Linux in order to learn it, and Unix in general. One
>> of the most basic things to learn is how to administer from the CLI,
>> because if all you do is use the "tools" you will wind up always using
>> them, and never "understand" what they are doing.
>
> Remove the Unix part please.
>
> Linux sys admin != Unix sys admin

Many Unix admins working today started out by learning Linux. I said
some people run Linux in order to ultimately learn Unix. Why confuse or
discourage them at the outset?

Actually, what OS today can legally be called Unix? Is Solaris Unix? is
BSD? (I think they both are). Linux is certainly a "Unix-like" OS.

But actually, Linux is just a kernel, GNU is a more accurate term I guess.