[mythtv-users] No sound after reboot - Ubuntu Edgy/020

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Wed May 2 11:43:38 UTC 2007

> Weird problem. Myth locked up while my wife was doing her yoga DVD so
> she rebooted the machine. However, now there is no playback sound of any
> kind. I have tried all 3 dsp's (dsp, dsp1,dsp2) without success, checked
> dmesg and lspci, and everything looks as it should. There *is* sound in
> the recordings as I can play then via MythWeb.
>
> This have never happened before after many reboots.
>
> My system:
>
> Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy server install (as per the Ubuntu Guides)
> .020 from src, custom compiled.
> Soundblaster 5.1 Live! sound card using standard stereo output
>
> Any ideas where I should be looking? I am absolutely stumped...
>
> Cheers
> Bruce

Try deleting (or better, renaming) the alsa settings file - in my system
(Gentoo) its in /var/lib/alsa/asound.state. Its likely that some duff
values are muting the sound so that the soundcard gets upset on boot.

When I had this problem, I just had to set things up with alsamixer from
the command line and then restarted alsa via the "/etc/init.d/alsasound
restart" so the new values got saved and then it all remained working
after a reboot.

--
Robin Gilks