[mythtv-users] Ubuntu Edgy -> Feisty upgrade report

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed May 2 04:12:18 UTC 2007

Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-01-05 at 19:17 -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
>> It just seems to me that an awful lot of problems I have had getting
>> Myth systems as well as others up and running turn out to be due to
>> changes that have been made in the kernel between the time some software
>> was written and the latest kernel came out.

> This dead horse is pretty well beaten now I think.

Yes, I'll keep this as short as possible.

I should not have to live on the "bleeding edge" in order to get the
latest security or bug fixes on a kernel that can run MythTV, but it
seems that to get them I must do so. (2.4 can't run most Myth-related
drivers).

The change renders incorrect many many tutorials, WiKis, howtos, guides,
published books etc. There is no way to tell from those documents that
the information they contain is likely to have changed. Many people will
be seeking assistance from the net who otherwise might not have had to.
The effort to correct all of that documentation vastly exceeds the work
to change the kernel itself. The change might seem trivial but it can
render a system unusable.

The change could have been made in such a way as to not confuse and
confound anyone trying to RTFM.

The "old way" of doing things would not have created this problem.