[mythtv-users] Is Wider better?

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Tue May 1 23:26:35 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-01 at 16:39 -0400, Cool Frood wrote:
> Also, you needn't worry about capturing SD content with your PVR 350
> to display on a widescreen.  MythTV does the Right Thing (TM) out of
> the box.

Well, that's correct if you mean that MythTV records the video from the
PVR-350 and then plays it back unmodified. If you record widescreen
video using a PVR-350 or any NTSC (which is inherently 4:3) capture
card, it must be letterboxed. If you then play that video back on a wide
screen, it'll end up with pillarboxing in addition to the letterboxing.
Black bars around the entire image aren't what I'd call the Right Thing,
but it's not really MythTV's fault, since it can't easily know there's a
letterboxed widescreen image in there. Of course, you can easily deal
with this by using MythTV's "4:3 zoom" preset. That's what I do to watch
any such video, which in my case is usually 16:9 programs recorded from
480i ATSC.

That does get me thinking about how hard it would be for MythTV to
detect when there's a letterboxed image and automatically switch to a
zommed mode. Perhaps it wouldn't be that hard.
--
Jonathan Rogers <jonner at teegra.net>