[mythtv-users] Small flickering white lines

Jeff Wiens jwiens at fresno.ars.usda.gov
Tue May 1 15:37:18 UTC 2007

Hi, I recently upgraded my Myth system from Ubuntu 6.10 to 7.04.

The upgrade went reasonably well except now there are small flicking
white lines that appear randomly across the screen for several
milliseconds.  They look almost like the cursor underscore character.
They seem to appear more when menu items are being drawn (for example, a
drop down menu item).  It's hard to describe without a picture but it
looks like static except instead of white snow, they're small white
lines.

The problem isn't limited to MythTV so I know it's not really a MythTV
issue but I'm hoping maybe someone else has seen the issue.  I'm using
the NVidia component out jacks.

I tried upgrading to the latest NVidia driver which didn't have any
effect on the issue.  I'm thinking about going back to the driver
version I was using in Ubuntu 6.10 but I'm not entirely sure how...  (I
really struggle with Linux drivers)

The only other change I made right before the upgrade was to enable XvMC
by pointing the config file to the NVidia driver library (followed the
Wiki instructions on enabling it).

Has anybody seen anything similar to this or have any advice?  (besides
stop fiddling with your Myth box!)  I'm wondering if perhaps this is a
new bug with the Nvidia driver in the component out?