[mythtv-users] OT:Portable Media Player

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Tue May 1 15:13:49 UTC 2007

> I'd try and make sure you have return rights, in case it doesn't do what
> you want, but I guess you;re really not risking too much for that price.

I agree, especially if purchasing the model with a hard drive.

> If you need it to be operated by kids a portable DVD player might have a
> higher "CAF" (Child Acceptance Factor). The last thing you need to worry
> about while driving is trying to teach a kid an interface.

Not to worried about this, unless I can't even do it myself! My oldest
can control both myth's frontend and play recordings and videos on a
mediamvp.

> I use a GP2X to do what you describe, but that costs a little more. It
> does run a user-controllable version of Linux, and you can get an
> expansion board to connect a KB, mouse, network adapter and any other
> USB device.

I've looked at this in the past. Out of curiosity, what are you using
for storage? USB storage using the expansion board?

Thanks,
James