[mythtv-users] Moving

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Mar 31 23:58:32 UTC 2007

On 03/31/2007 07:00 PM, John Clonts wrote:
> On 3/28/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>> using the "Delete All" button in mythtv-setup's Video Sources screen.
> [snip]
>> Definitely true.  If you use "Delete All", Myth will take care of all
>> the issues for you.
> I've wondered this for a while:
> 1) What is the difference between "Delete All" and "Delete All from Myth"

I'm guessing the hostname of your Myth box is "Myth."  :)

The Delete All buttons do truncates.  "Delete all capture cards on
<hostname>" deletes only those capture cards on this hostname (and,
therefore, does not do truncates--as there may be data for other hosts
in there).  So, even if you have only one host, there /is/ a difference.

Most of the time when people have issues with their capture card/video
source/input connections/channels configuration it's due to leaving
around something that shouldn't be there.

"Delete all capture cards" truncates capturecard and cardinput
tables--meaning there's nothing left and you're starting from a clean
slate (including card ID's).  Since mythtv-setup only displays info
about those capture cards on /this/ host, there may be many you don't
see (this happens a lot for single combined frontend/backend setups when
people change hostname/IP address without following the instructions on
the HOWTO - http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.15 ).
"Delete all capture cards" will clear out those others, but "Delete all
capture cards on <hostname>" won't.

As far as video sources go, there should only be a "Delete all video
sources" button (video sources are handled by the master backend and
don't apply to specific hosts).  "Delete all video sources" will
truncate channel, program, videosource, credits, programrating,
programgenres, dtv_multiplex, and cardinput.  Again, the most common
problem with configuration of video sources/input connections/channels
is leaving something in the table that shouldn't be there (but that
might not be visible through the interface because Myth thinks it's some
other hosts data or ...).

I shorten the button names to "Delete All" (and for capture cards say,
"and not the 'on this host' one") because I never can remember the exact
wording and--to date--haven't felt it worthwhile to look them up every
time I type it (I post this suggestion a /lot/).  If, however, you feel
that my suggestion is confusing, please let me know and I'll do better
about using the exact wording.

> and
> 2) Is there any way to "Delete One".  I've tried highlighting and and
> hitting delete, D, etc. but can't seem to do it.

You should be able to do so by just pushing 'D' (unless you've re-mapped
key bindings).  However, IMHO, doing so is only asking for trouble.  :)
So, if you figure out how to make it work and someday you can't fix a
broken system using it, I never told you how to delete just one.

Mike