[mythtv-users] Latest svn builds segfaulting

Willy Boyd willyboyd at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 21:10:05 UTC 2007

On 3/30/07, William Munson <william_munson at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> One common mistake people make when switching to SVN is compiling into
> default setting of /usr/local. The prebuilt packages load into /usr so
> you will need to either recompile with --prefix=/usr or manually delete
> all the old libraries. Personally I prefer to build into /usr.  Another
> thing I do is to disable all the features I do not need. Seems to make a
> difference.

Since others will be reading this, I would just like to personally
recommend *against* doing just that.  There are good reasons for
"standards" like building into /usr/local, especially when mixing
user-compiled code with pre-built packages.  Unless you're very
careful (as I'm sure you are), you stand a greater chance of messing
up your environment when you start installing custom code over
packaged binaries which normally like in /usr.  Sure, a common mistake
is to have the old libs hanging around in /usr, but that's why you
remove the older myth packages as well and keep things separate.  Once
you start mixing things in the same bowl you get even more unexpected
results.  /usr is for system packages, /usr/local is for user-compiled
binaries and libs.