[mythtv-users] very low glxgears fps

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 17:31:44 UTC 2007

On 3/30/07, James Warden <warjamy at yahoo.com> wrote:
> OK,
>
> so you seem to have most of the stuff configured. I
> would suggest you check what lsmod spits out through a
> 'grep agp'.

I will check that out when I get home.

> I don't remember what your xorg.conf AGP option was
> and it could be that even forcing this option in this
> file won't work if something during the boot process
> precedes the nvidia module loading that prevents the
> NvAGP option to work as expected. As I said, I had the
> intel_agp module loaded before nvidia with debian
> kernels and there was not much I could do to prevent
> this from happening (even if I blacklisted the damn
> module) so i had to recompile my kernel without that
> module and agpgart altogether. Only then NvAGP=1 in
> xorg.conf would have an effect. And it resulted in a
> big improvement as far as the 3D acc performance is
> concerned.

I have:
       #Option      "NvAGP" "1"
When that is uncommeted, it spit out some error in glxgears.  It seems
it is trying to load the agpart driver and won't load the NvAGP driver
as a result.  Some googling indicated I need to roll my own kernel,
but I really want to avoid that (I have tried that before without much
success, and I really don't want to have go through building kernel
modules constantly).

Can I adjust something in the bios?  Again, this is what my agp status
is, and I can't seem to change the driver to nvidia or get Fast Writes
enabled (thinking the two may be related).

[mythtv at localhost ~]$ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status
Driver:          AGPGART
AGP Rate:        8x
Fast Writes:     Disabled
SBA:             Enabled

This is a fedora based system (FC5) and uses primarily atrpms packages.