[mythtv-users] very low glxgears fps

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 07:24:14 UTC 2007

All,

I have been trying to troubleshoot some video issues, and have gotten
on the bandwagon of seeing what information can be gleamed from
glxgears; it is not pretty:
[mythtv at localhost ~]$ glxgears
633 frames in 5.0 seconds = 126.556 FPS
638 frames in 5.0 seconds = 127.449 FPS
637 frames in 5.0 seconds = 127.374 FPS
638 frames in 5.0 seconds = 127.422 FPS
628 frames in 5.0 seconds = 125.479 FPS
638 frames in 5.0 seconds = 127.414 FPS
634 frames in 5.0 seconds = 126.792 FPS
638 frames in 5.0 seconds = 127.421 FPS

All the while, glxgears is chewing through 99% of my CPU according to top.

What can I do to speed this up?  I understand that glxgears is not a
perfect benchmark, but I would think that using that type of CPU
power, an nother major processes running, I would get in the thousands
of fps (and this is why I suspect I can't playback HD or even DVDs
really for that matter).  Some other vitals on my system (using a
geforce 5200 w/256 megs of memory; nforce chipset):

[mythtv at localhost ~]$ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status
Driver:          AGPGART
AGP Rate:        8x
Fast Writes:     Disabled
SBA:             Enabled

[mythtv at localhost ~]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 12
model name      : AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3100+
stepping        : 0
cpu MHz         : 1800.000
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext lm 3dnowext
3dnow ts fid vid ttp
bogomips        : 3618.70

[mythtv at localhost ~]$ cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:       515440 kB
MemFree:         19160 kB
Buffers:         12208 kB
Cached:         162444 kB
SwapCached:          0 kB
Active:         358180 kB
Inactive:        81196 kB
HighTotal:           0 kB
HighFree:            0 kB
LowTotal:       515440 kB
LowFree:         19160 kB
SwapTotal:     1052248 kB
SwapFree:      1052248 kB
Dirty:               8 kB
Writeback:           0 kB
AnonPages:      264744 kB
Mapped:          40484 kB
Slab:            34652 kB
SReclaimable:     7020 kB
SUnreclaim:      27632 kB
PageTables:       2652 kB
NFS_Unstable:        0 kB
Bounce:              0 kB
CommitLimit:   1309968 kB
Committed_AS:   705496 kB
VmallocTotal:   507896 kB
VmallocUsed:     46796 kB
VmallocChunk:   457716 kB
HugePages_Total:     0
HugePages_Free:      0
HugePages_Rsvd:      0
Hugepagesize:     4096 kB

And my xorg.conf:
# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "single head configuration"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"

# RgbPath is the location of the RGB database.  Note, this is the name of the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").  There is normally
# no need to change the default.
# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.
        ModulePath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
        ModulePath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
        ModulePath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
        FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "fbdevhw"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "freetype"
        Load  "type1"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
#       Option  "Xleds"         "1 2 3"
# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
#       Option  "XkbDisable"
# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
#       Option  "XkbModel"      "pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
#       Option  "XkbModel"      "microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
#       Option  "XkbLayout"     "de"
# or:
#       Option  "XkbLayout"     "de"
#       Option  "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
#       Option  "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:swapcaps"
# Or if you just want both to be control, use:
#       Option  "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:nocaps"
#
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/null"
        #Option     "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

#       Option      "dpms" "off"
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "Unknown monitor"
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
#       HorizSync    31.5 - 37.9
#       VertRefresh  50.0 - 70.0
        Option      "UseEdidDpi" "TRUE"
        Option      "DPI" "100 x 100"
        Option      "DPMS" "off"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce FX (generic)"
        Option      "XvmcUsesTextures" "false"
        Option      "UseEvents"   "true"
        #Option     "RandRRotation" "true"
        Option      "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
        #Option      "NvAGP" "1"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        Option      "UseEvents" "True"
#       SubSection "Display"
#               Viewport   0 0
#               Depth     16
#               Modes    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
#       EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
                Modes     "1280x720_60i" "1280x720_60" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Group        0