[mythtv-users] Verry ugly sound in MythTV

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Thu Mar 29 18:16:25 UTC 2007

On Thursday 29 March 2007 13:24, KrzchK2 wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've decided to write on this mailing list because I couldn't find any
> help.
>
> I've got problem with sound. It's very very ugly, and I think that
> sounds like problems with sound encoder or decoder. It is very
> quadratic,
> squeaky and it's really hard to understand anything.
>
> How can I solve this problem? System is gentoo linux, Options I've built
> with:
> [ebuild   R   ] media-tv/mythtv-0.20_p12172  USE="alsa dvb dvd ieee1394
> lirc mmx opengl perl vorbis xvmc (-altivec) -backendonly -crciprec
> -dbox2 -debug -dts -freebox -frontendonly -hdhomerun -ivtv -jack
> -joystick -lcd" VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia -i810 -via" 0 kB

First, there are some wiki entries on audio that you might want to read:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Digital_Sound
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Digital_Sound_with_AC3_and_SPDIF
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Sound_card
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Sound_Troubleshooting

The last-referenced page is particularly likely (but not certain) to be
helpful.

Second, to offer advice we really need more information, such as:

1) What video capture card do you have?

2) If you're using a framegrabber video capture card, are you using a
   patch cable from it to your sound card or are you using an audio device
   driver for your video capture card?

3) What sort of sound card do you have (or onboard sound chipset, if you're
   using what's on your motherboard)?

4) What are you using for sound output -- speakers connected to the computer,
   a stereo with analog connections to the computer, or a stereo with digital
   connections to the computer?

5) Does the problem occur in live TV, in recorded programs, or both?

6) Does the problem occur when playing back material you've obtained from
   sources other than your capture card, such as A/V clips downloaded from
   Internet sites?

7) Does the problem occur when playing sound alone outside of MythTV
   (such as playing .wav files with the aplay program)?

8) Does the problem occur when playing A/V clips outside of MythTV (using
   mplayer or xine, for instance)?

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com