[mythtv-users] Performance issues, or Why Mythtv hates Oprah

sdkovacs sdkovacs at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 00:48:51 UTC 2007

> One thing I didn't see you mention checking is /etc/crontab.  I'm not
> particularly familiar with Fedora Core, but on most systems this is
> different from the root user's crontab file.  Often there are nightly,
> weekly, and monthly jobs launched from there.  I bet the nightly job
> runs at 4 am on your system.  Often this does things like rebuilding man
> and locate databases that create a lot of disk activity.

Thanks, I didnt think of /etc/crontab. But there's nothing running
around 16:00, when my problem begins.

[root at localhost etc]# cat /etc/crontab
SHELL=/bin/bash
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
MAILTO=root
HOME=/

# run-parts
01 * * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.hourly
02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
22 4 * * 0 root run-parts /etc/cron.weekly
42 4 1 * * root run-parts /etc/cron.monthly

[root at localhost etc]# ls -l /etc/cron.hourly
total 0