[mythtv-users] MythTV without desktop manager

migmog migmog at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 23:11:38 UTC 2007

> The only problem I have is that I had to install kdm too to start Ratpoison,
> and I don't understand if I can't do without kdm or gdm.
> How I can use Ratpoison and make it starting at the system boot without
> using kdm or gdm?

There's many ways to do this. I'm sure there's a howto in wiki. Here's my setup:

When X starts as part of the runlevel bootup, automatically login as
mythtv. To do this, you can edit /etc/inittab

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty --autologin mythtv tty1
#1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1

Then make a /home/mythtv/.xinitrc something like this:
xsetroot -solid black &
ratpoison &
irexec -d
irxevent &
# Stop the screen from blanking.... Belt 'n' braces approach
xset dpms 0
xset -dpms
xset s 0
xset s noblank
xset s off
mythfrontend --logfile /var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log

Note no & after mythfrontend. That way if the frontend crashes, X will
restart as mythfrontend is the blocking program stopping X from
exiting.

Works like a charm for me.