[mythtv-users] low-cost low-grief remote

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 01:13:40 UTC 2007

On 3/27/07, Angus <sylvania at istop.com> wrote:

>     Which is definitely not the way to do it on the cheap. Also, I've
> already tried running MythTV with a keyboard, and I found that some
> menus just wouldn't work. I assumed that this was because these menus
> wouldn't work with a keyboard, but they would once I got a decent remote.

If the menus do not work with a keyboard, they are not going to work
with a remote.  LIRC converts your remote keypresses into a keyboard
keypress (i.e., it will map the play button to the keyboard command
for play).

If your keyboard is not working, you should figure out first why that
is.  Otherwise, you will be sorely disappointed when you move to a
remote.

FWIW, I use a harmony remote with the pvr-350 IR receiver.  However,
it is neither cheap (>$100) nor easy to setup initially.  But once I
have it, it is better than all the other remotes I have used (RS
cheap-o model mentioned here, sony VCR remote, DirecTV remote, RCA
remote, X10 Lola remote, and the awful remote that came with the
PVR-350), and eliminates the need to use any other remote for my AV
equipment.  Plus, with the macro functions and how you can program
buttons to be device specific (i.e., the volume ALWAYS works the
receiver w/o changing function buttons on the remote), all my friends
can use it without screwing up my settings.