[mythtv-users] Weird happenings - .20 on Ubuntu

William Munson william_munson at bellsouth.net
Wed Mar 28 02:14:22 UTC 2007

Bruce Nordstrand wrote:
> I have been having some weird issues on my Ubuntu install that just seem
> to appear out of nowhere. I had none of these problems on my MythDora
> .19 box.
>
> For example, TV playback stutters/pauses for no reason. It does not
> matter if zero cards are recording or all 3 are recording. I have 3
> DVB-T cards onboard.
>
> Videos will play fine through Xine but Internal once again goes into
> stutter/pause or it picks the wrong audio track and I get the video in
> Spanish.
>
> I have tried every decoder option, have suid'd mythfrontend and a
> million other things with no luck.
>
> This all seems focused on the Internal player for some reason. The
> machine is not a monster, being a PIII 933Mhz / 384Mb ram / FX5200 -
> 128MB / Soundblaster Live! 5.1, but - as I said - NONE of these problems
> were present on .19. Nothing has changed in the machine/TV area aside
> from Ubuntu and .20 install.
>
> Have any/all of these issues been addressed on SVN? Would it make sense
> to try and compile Myth from SVN instead of using the Ubuntu packages?
> God forbid I'll have to try MediaPortal soon... :)

Building your own and disabling the features you dont use will make it
much more responsive. If you want to keep compatibility with the
releases you might think about building the 0.20-fixes branch. I have
not had significant stability issues with the current SVN however there
are a few little annoyances. Just be sure to back up your database first :)

Bill