[mythtv-users] More bang for the buck? Processor or faster ram?

Bill Omer bill.omer at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 21:43:34 UTC 2007

On 3/27/07, William Munson <william_munson at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> I currently have a athlonXP 2200+ with 512 meg of 133MHz ram. I am
> having skipping problems on some HD channels, others play fine. My cpu
> usage runs 80-100% on the problem channels. My question is this: Which
> is going to give me the most improvement? Going to 266MHz ram and maybe
> more ram or going to a faster processor? Say a 2800+ or 3300+? I can
> reconfigure the board for either option. Yes, I understand that
> upgrading both will be the best but the budget says no to that option...
>
> Yours thoughts?

My old shuttle (my first frontend) was (I believe) an AMD 2200+.  Does
it clock at 1.8GHz?  If so, i'm kind of surprised you can play HD
content at all.

I jumped up to a 3300+ and I'm able to play HD content just fine, 720p
and 1080i, and with only 512MB of ram.   So I would suggest upgrading
your CPU

Just my $0.02

-Bill