[mythtv-users] mythfrontend and mythtv-setup cant connect to db

Ben Edwards funkytwig at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 19:55:13 UTC 2007

On 27/03/07, Jon <jon at sd-6.org> wrote:

> Ben Edwards wrote:
> > When I try to run mythfrontend or mythtv-setup I get the following in
> > the output
> >
> > Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'192.168.0.104 <http://192.168.0.104>'
> > (using password: YES)
> >
> > Where is it getting the IP.  It is possible this used to be the IP of
> > the backend box but it is not ant more.
> >
> > mythtv.txt is
> >
> > DBHostName=192.168.0.95 <http://192.168.0.95>
> > DBUserName=mythtv
> > DBPassword=nfindpqr
> > DBName=mythconverg
> > #DBType=QMYSQL3
> >
> > # Set the following if you want to use something other than the
> > # machine's real hostname for identifying settings in the database.
> > # This is useful if your hostname changes often, as otherwise
> > # you'll need to reconfigure mythtv (or futz with the DB) every time.
> > # TWO HOSTS MUST NOT USE THE SAME VALUE
> > #
> > #LocalHostName=my-unique-identifier-goes-here
> >
> > # If you want your frontend to be able to wake your MySQL server
> > # using WakeOnLan, have a look at the following settings:
> > #
> > # Set the time the frontend waits (in seconds) between reconnect tries.
> > # This should be the rough time your MySQL server needs for startup
> > #WOLsqlReconnectWaitTime=0
> > #
> > #
> > # This is the amount of retries to wake the MySQL server until the frontend
> > # gives up
> > #WOLsqlConnectRetry=5
> > #
> > #
> > # This is the command executed to wake your MySQL server.
> > #WOLsqlCommand=echo 'WOLsqlServerCommand not set'
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> Look for mysql.txt in
> /usr/share/mythtv
> /etc/mythtv
> ~/.mythtv
>
> It may be using a different one.

OK, now this is getting really strange.  I have removed all the
mysql.txt files but one  and I have even changed the mythtv user to
mythtvx and the Access Demied error changes accordingly.  If rename
the file mythfrontend says it cant find the mysql.txt, so I it must be
using the one I think.

BUT  'DBHostName=192.168.0.95' and the error says to 192.168.0.104
(which is localhost).

So i put and entry in /etc/hosts '192.168.0.95 pilger' and pinged it
to test.  I then tried  'DBHostName=pilger' and guess what error I
get:

Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'192.168.0.104' (using password: YES)

Any idea what is going on?
Ben