[mythtv-users] low-cost low-grief remote

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Mar 27 17:26:39 UTC 2007

> On Tuesday 27 March 2007 00:07, Angus wrote:
>> I've been trying to understand what array of remote options there are
>> out there for MythTV, but I haven't been able to piece together the
>> information I need. I've been reading about remotes that can be gotten
>> on the cheap, but the documentation seems to be completely unaware that
>> they all need an IR receiver. My tv card has a remote, with an IR
>> receiver, but it seems to be a waste of space, since I haven't been able
>> to get it to do anything but get irrecord to fail. Speaking of which,
>> I'd like a low-grief solution, meaning something highly compatible with
>> MythTV, and simple to configure.
>>     So can someone recommend a compatible model of remote and IR
>> receiver for not too much? I hear that places like Radio Shack and Best
>> Buy probably have the material I'm looking for, or in this country: The
>> Source and Future Shop.
>
> Others have posted some good comments, but I'd like to clarify some
> important
> facts and distinctions:
>
> 1) MythTV is a keyboard-controlled application. MythTV itself has, AFAIK,
>    no awareness of remote controls. To use a remote with MythTV, you
>    must have a way to make the remote "look" like a keyboard to MythTV.
>    Typically, this is the job of LIRC, but there are other options.

MythTV is very much a remote control aware application.

It accepts messages passed from lirc just fine. No shenanigans like
converting button events to keyboard events is required.

The same goes for mplayer and xine.

> 2) As you've noted, your remote hardware comes in two parts: The remote
>    and its receiver. These two items can be purchased together or
>    separately.

     Using a supported combination of reciever and remote simplifies
things dramatically. That's what I use. Although I would be interested
in suggestions regarding ready made general purpose IR recievers.

     I like the idea of using a Tivo remote with my Frontend.

[deletia]