[mythtv-users] New FE machine feedback and Q's

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Tue Mar 27 01:26:47 UTC 2007

On Sunday 25 March 2007 11:27 pm, Paul Bender wrote:

> > Now for the questions:
> > 1.  Anyone found the best settings for the cpu scaling drivers?
> > I've been playing with using "conservative" and "ondemand" governors,
> > generally conservative works better as ondemand jumps the speed all
> > around. But even conservative has problems with 1 heavy cpu load on a 2
> > cpu/dual core box.  If both cpu's are busy, it works much more
> > predictable.  What I'd like to see is if a single process uses > 80% (for
> > instance), it should speed up to the next step, < 30% slow down.  But I
> > find it goes long periods of time with 1 process at or near 100% and the
> > other processor idle.  Especially playback HD content.  So most of the
> > time on conservative, it plays HD at the slowest 1000Mhz setting, it does
> > it barely, but going to 1800 would make much more comfortable.  I've
> > played with changing
> > the /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/conservative tunable params,
> > but haven't found a good combo yet.  Anyone have settings they really
> > like?
>
> Is there any reason to have a dual core CPU? I have an Athlon64 3200+
> and it is more than enough to playback HD without XvMC.

I'm sure a single 3200 would more than do it in most cases, as my X2
can usually play HD running at 1/2 cpu freq.  But as my papa always
taught me, "Never send a boy to do a man's job".  For the price diff,
it just gave me a lot more breathing room.

> > 2.  Speaking of HD playback, playing Lost on ABC (720p), the X server
> > takes almost 100% of 1 cpu (even at fastest cpu speed), while
> > mythfrontend takes only 30%.  But a CBS/NBC show (1080i), the Xserver
> > takes almost nothing, and the mythfrontend takes ~30-40% (fast cpu).  But
> > strangely the video resolution is set to 720p.  I haven't gotten the
> > output up to 1080i or 540p yet (more work on that one), but I find it
> > very strange that it works much harder when the content and video
> > resolution match.  Anyone have any clues why, or settings to look for
> > solutions?
>
> Try adding
>
> Option "UseEvents" "true"
>
> to the nvidia driver device section of your xorg.conf file.

That did it.  I'll have to look up what that command does, but for
now thanks.

Brian