[mythtv-users] lirc almost solved

Brian Bosch bdbosch at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 21:50:47 UTC 2007

On 3/26/07, Rich West <Rich.West at wesmo.com> wrote:
> R. G. Newbury wrote:

> >> Now that you mention it I had the same issue on my FC6 system.  I put
> >> the following in /etc/rc.local to get around it.  Likely there is a
> >> better way, but this got it working and then I forgot all about it:
> >>
> >> /sbin/depmod -a
> >> /sbin/modprobe lirc_i2c
> >> /sbin/service lircd start
> >>

> > you need to put the lirc module loading lines FIRST in modprobe.conf. So
> > you should have lirc_i2c, then (usually) lirc_dev and finally
> > lirc_your-driver-name, as lines 1 through 3.
> > Nobody seems to know why but 'That's the Way It Is'....
> >
> > Then you should not need to do either the modprobe or the service start
> > in rc.local. You do NOT need to run depmod on every boot. That need only
> > be run after you have installed new modules. (Use ldconfig for new
> > libraries).
>
> Agreed.. you don't need (or want to) run depmod on each boot.
>
> Hrmm.. not sure if that is truly the case with the ordering, though.
> Mine, for example, on my FE looks like:
> alias scsi_hostadapter sata_via
> alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
> options snd-card-0 index=0
> options snd-via82xx index=0
> remove snd-via82xx { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
> /sbin/m
> odprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-via82xx
> alias net-pf-10 off
> alias char-major-61 lirc_serial
> options lirc_serial irq=4 io=0x3f8
> install lirc_serial /bin/setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none ; /sbin/modprobe
> --ignore-install lirc_serial
> alias eth0 via-rhine
> # nvidia kernel module
> alias char-major-195 nvidia-1_0-9755
> alias nvidia nvidia-1_0-9755

For posterity, this in an FC6 system.  I altered modprobe.conf so that
the following are the first two lines:
alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c
install lirc_i2c /sbin/modprobe ivtv; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install lirc_i2c

I then took out all changes that made to rc.local & reboot but, alas,
lircd failed to operate.  I could start it manually but it would crash
as soon as a client (irw, mythfrontend) tried to connect.

I left modprobe.conf alone and added back the following two lines to
rc.local, reboot, and lirc is working fine again:
/sbin/modprobe lirc_i2c
/sbin/service lircd start

(Under your and Geoffrey's suggestion I left out the depmod -a bit.)

I'm quite happy to leave it running like this, I just wanted to report
my experience back for the sake of the archives...

Cheers,

-- Brian.