[mythtv-users] rebuttal from the linuxmce video guy

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Mon Mar 26 18:09:53 UTC 2007

Hi there,

Thanks for making such a reasonable response to our bitching. As Mr
Watson says, "Don't let the bastards get you down" and don't take the
criticism personally or to heart.

On 25 Mar 2007, at 06:33, Paul Paul wrote:
> I saw some of the comments about my LinuxMCE demo video.  Sorry if
> my voice bothered people.

Well, I don't know that it's _your_ voice, as such, but as an amateur
I find it difficult to get the right tone whenever I'm recording
anything. And that's just my answerphone message! I record it 20 or
30 times before I feel happy that I've got it right - I wouldn't
dream to try anything longer. I hear that
when recording novels (y'know, those books-on-tape for you to listen
to in the car) they go back at the end & rerecord the first couple of
chapters, because by the end of the book the reader has kinda
developed his "swing". The hosts on even the lamest TV channels &
radio stations have TONS more practice at speaking than we do - my
best advice is maybe to get a friend to ask you questions and record
the answers - I think you need to be really relaxed in order for your
words to have the right confident tone.

> No, I don't have any intentions of selling hardware or trying to
> commercialize LinuxMCE and, personally, oppose it since the whole
> reason I forked this from Pluto was that being commercial they were
> too busy taking care of their "paying" clients to concern
> themselves with the needs of the foss community.  And as far as it
> being simply a 'renamed' Pluto, it took me over 3 months of working
> on it at least 50 hours a week plus the help of several others to
> get  it to run on a standard distro, like Ubuntu.  So it wasn't
> just a trivial fork.  And the PNP functionality to get the PVR card
> going was my own addition.

Although I can sympathise with Pluto's motives, too, yours sounds
like a very worthy intent. I wish you the very best of luck with it.

Stroller.