[mythtv-users] Wireless Pre-N for Linux?

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Mon Mar 26 13:36:08 UTC 2007

On 26 Mar 2007, at 06:48, Jarod Wilson wrote:

>>> There are a number of wireless solutions for linux however its
>>> still not
>>> going to allow you to view HD over a wireless network. 802.11G is
>>> just
>>> not fast enough.
>>
>> This is simply not true.  I stream 1080i content (the highest
>> resolution
>> available to me) from my backend to the frontend via 802.11G
>> without a
>> hickup -- no stuttering, pixelation or anything like that.  802.11G
>> has
>> more than enough bandwidth to do the job.
>
> Generally, it doesn't, you're a fortunate minority there. If there's
> any kind of interference (walls, ceilings, microwaves, cordless
> phones) ...

Well, that's the big IF, isn't it?
;)

> Now 802.11n is supposed to be wunderbar for streaming HDTV, but I'm
> not aware of any PCI or USB cards that work under Linux just yet.

For the benefit of the OP:

Me, either, and I'm usually pretty well-up on wireless stuff.

My experience with pre-N hardware - even using the manufacturers'
Windows drivers - has been VERY disappointing. I'd avoid it like the
plague, if I were you. 802.11g was generally pretty poor when I first
started using it 3 years ago - I'd expect to wait another 3 years
before 802.11n becomes reliable.

> Some of the new PowerLine A/V stuff actually looks pretty
> reasonable though...

Not sure what you mean by "the new PowerLine A/V stuff" here. I read
that Devolo this week announced a kit that allows you to stream
(component?) video over the home mains, but they have been doing
ethernet-over-mains adaptors for quite some time. I have used their
10mbps kits for internet access in large homes with thick walls &/or
interference, but they also do a kit that does (I think) 80mbps. I
guess this'd be my choice if conventional wired & wireless ethernet
wouldn't cut it.

Stroller.