[mythtv-users] Automatic mythfilldatabase and WOL option

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Mar 23 16:57:50 UTC 2007

Chris Rouch wrote:
> On 3/16/07, James Warden <warjamy at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have a very stupid question. Maybe I haven't RTFM very good ... so put up
>> with me :)
>>
>> What's the best option to have an automatic database update (channel
>> programs) ? If I turn on the option through the f/e, nothing happens anyway.
>> Shouldn't it be a b/e option instead ? I was thinking about setting up a
>> cron job, but that would also imply that I always leave the b/e on. So that
>> leads me to another config : is it possible to wake up the b/e from an S3
>> state via the network from the f/e ? (some WOL option) and then have a
>> mythfilldatabase job running in the background when it resumed ?
>>
>> OK, I realize I am mixing different things here. I would just like to know
>> what about your own configuration, get some advice and what could be the
>> best for my distributed system.
>>

> Set up a cron job in /etc/cron.daily and make sure that anacron is set
> to run on boot. Then mythfilldatabase will run ~1 hour after your
> backend boots, maximum once per day.
>
> Chris

It may depend on which distro you have. I run Mandriva 2007.0 and
setting up mythfilldatabase from the front end (separate) PC works, in
that MFDB runs on the back end just after 0200 (the default, can be
changed).

However, I also tried out [X]Ubuntu and that distro seems to prefer
setting MFDB as a cron job (0400 as I recall).

Note that MFDB, wherever you run it from, is accessing the Mysql
database, so needs that to be powered up. Although at the end it calls
the scheduler in the master back end, it all functions perfectly well if
the BE is not available.

It always puzzled me why the Mythbackend controls were in the front end
rather than in mythtv-setup.

I would also recommend running a nightly/first thing cron job to (1) run
optimize-mythdb.pl, which checks the db for errors, and (2) a one=line
script to back up the database somewhere safe.

Mike Perkins