[mythtv-users] How (and why) to switch between InnoDB and MyISAM

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Fri Mar 23 16:12:38 UTC 2007

David Campbell <dave at cpfc.org> says:
> Changing engine isn't for the MYSQL newcomer but it is very
> trivial -
> see the ALTER TABLE pages of the MYSQL documentation
>
> I won't post the exact syntax for fear of people cutting and pasting
> my commands

I hope you reconsider. Unlike all the database administrators/SQL
gurus on the list I know nothing about SQL syntax beyond what Jarod's
howto had me do way back when in order to get MythTV installed, and
the MySQL documentation is way, way more obscure for me than most
other Linux-related documentation. I keep reading about the
differences between innodb and myisam and I don't even know which one
my setup uses, much less how to switch to the "better" myisam versus
the "worse" innodb." I backup my database every hour and so even were
I careless enough to blow my setup up with an errant SQL command I
could restore the status quo within minutes.