[mythtv-users] well cooled case

Joe Maldonado joe.maldonado at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 14:52:28 UTC 2007

Hello,

I just got an NZXT Apollo case wich came with 2 120mm fans and room for a
third in the front.  The case is big and with creative, (not too creative)
wiring the system stays quite cool and quiet under load.

The best thing I think about the case, aside from the ventilation and
quietness of if, is the ample room to work in it.

It has a crossfire mobo with a dual core athlon64 5000 and an ATI 1950XT,
waiting for second soon.  While compiling or playing games, (doom3, quake4)
at 1600x1200 with most (I think all but not sure) of the knobs turned up the
core temp gets to about 48C.   Given I also have a Zalman 140mm cooler on
the cpu.

Joe

On 3/23/07, jason maxwell <decepticon at gmail.com> wrote:

> Out of curiousity, why do you need 3 video cards in one machine? You
> can get a dual head + TV out card that would run circles around a
> Quadro for much less than $50 these days. I would guess a case like
> what you're talking about will be more expensive than that.
> -J
>
> On 3/23/07, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:
> > I need a recommendation for a case...
> >
> > This is for a box with 3 video cards, two of which are nVidia Quadro and
> > they run *hot*.
> >
> > The problem is that, after both my kids use it for a while, the system
> > locks up.  It's typical of overheating failure, as the system is very
> > stable if only one user is on it or it is idle.
> >
> > The two Quadra cards sit in the PCI slots.  So far, I have not been able
> > to find a case that will draw enough air over the PCI slots area.  Most
> > focus on the CPU area and the AGP/PCI-e 16x slots.
> >
> > I've found several that have 120mm fans, but what I really need is a
> > case that has provisions for a forced air exhaust over the PCI slots.  I
> > could cut a hole there and bolt on a fan, but I can't help but think
> > there must be a better solution....
> >
> > Even fan driven heatsinks for the Quadra cards would help if I could get
> > them cheap enough and if they forced the air to the top of the card.
> >
> > Failing any of that, a case with one 120mm exhaust fan below the PS and
> > a 120 mm intake fan at the lower front panel would be better than what I
> > have now.
> >
> > --Yan

Joe Maldonado