[mythtv-users] Partial channel data, UK

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Mar 23 12:11:05 UTC 2007

Damian Surr wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I had another session on Myth last night and got things up and running.
> All recording and working very nicely. Got a few questions, so I'm going
> to post them in different threads.
>
> The first one is my channel data. I'm getting information for some
> channels, but not all. Getting things like ITV1, Channel 4 and several
> others. Not getting BBC1, BBC2, Channel 5.
>
> I roughly followed this guide for setting the channel data up:
> http://parker1.co.uk/mythtv_id.php
>

> I realise that if anyone can help you'll need more information from me,
> but not sure what info will be need. Can anyone help out?
>
> Cheers
> Damian

Sounds like you're not getting all the multiplexes. You might try
scanning again, might be a weather-related problem. If that doesn't
work, consider if your aerial is good enough, or that it is aligned for
best signal. If you have a signal booster lying around try inserting
that, may make some difference. (An older booster designed for analogue
may not boost all channels equally, more important for digital sources).
Until the analogue signal gets switched off digital signals are
transmitted at reduced strength, which can be a pain if you are in a
marginal area.

Another option is to use the dvb-utils tools to run a scan. This will
provide you with a whole bunch of diagnostic info to help you determine
what you can/cant/might only just be able to receive, and what you might
do to fix the problem.

Mike Perkins