[mythtv-users] Video Card with component out

Tristan McCann tristan at aquaagua.net
Fri Mar 23 11:13:14 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-23 at 00:25 -0500, Mitch Gore wrote:
> wow that looks like a great board.  Please post feedback when you get
> your system up and going
>
> MItchell
>
> On 3/23/07, Tom Greer <trgreer at gmail.com> wrote:
>         Jason Portwood wrote:
>         > I'm looking for a card like that too. Fanless and component
>         out.
>         >
>         > Or if I could find one with it on the motherboard video that
>         would be
>         > great. Is there a motherboard out like that with everything
>         built in?
>
>         Here is a motherboard with GeForce 6150 on board video and an
>         optional
>         component out adapter:
>         http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131014
>
>         I have just received one but I am still waiting for case to
>         arrive, so
>         I can't give you an opinion on performance.
>
>         Tom

I am using that exact board and I have been since November. It works
well, I am using one of the 3000+ Semprons which use 35 Watts and they
can just barely do HDTV playback (so just barely that I have stopped
using HDTV for a while). I am using HD480p in the xorg.conf file at
640x480. The quality of the Component Out is pretty good, but somehow my
onboard video got corrupted and I started seeing interference "specks"
show up in the output. Not tons of them, but enough to annoy me.

Yesterday I added a nVidia 7300 GS 128MB card. The card was very cheap @
60.00. The quality of that component out is much better, and playback
and XvMC actually reduces the load by a lot, and doesn't reduce my
system RAM either. As an example, when I was running nvidia-settings on
my TV with the onboard video, I could not really read the text. With the
new card, I can read it perfectly. This also manifested itself with the
MythTV menus looking a lot better. I am anxious to see what the new card
can do with HDTV playback.

Hope this helps,
Tristan