[mythtv-users] HD success!

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Mar 22 19:13:01 UTC 2007

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Mar 22, 2007, at 12:15 PM, Rich West wrote:
>
>>> Staying away from VIA chipsets is never a bad idea either.
>> Dumb question here, and causing this to drift off topic, but why is
>> this
>> (avoiding VIA) the case?  I've seen a number of other related
>> comments,
>> and, well, I am just curious as to the reasoning....
>>
>> Well, that and the fact that, after looking things over, all of my
>> systems are VIA-based (never tried pushing HD with them, though).
>>

> VIA chipsets, especially earlier ones, had/have problems with DMA
> that have been known to cause problems with IVTV (see their site):
>
> http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Via_motherboard_problems
>
> Some of these problems may have been corrected by now, but "once
> bitten"...

So you don"t actually know what might have been wrong, if there actually
was anything wrong with Via chipsets (as disticnt to some other cause)..
You agree with a drive-by slagging, which is basically completely devoid
of meaningful content .

And you completely discount the possibility that IF the un-named chipset
was the source of the problem, it has not been corrected.

I'd bet you believe Al Gore invented the internet...because you seem
entirely too gullible.

Geoff

-
              R. Geoffrey Newbury