[mythtv-users] Linux MCE project

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Mar 22 15:11:59 UTC 2007

On Mar 22, 2007, at 8:54 AM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:

>> No, just legal. If that video was made in the USA advocating DVD rips
>> could be construed as aiding and abetting violation of the DMCA.
>
> Oh, really? From what I understand watching a DVD (ie decrypting
> without paying licensing fees for the privilege) on Linux isn't legal
> in the US. Am I wrong about that? Also, I was kind of joking. Hence
> the ;) at the end.

I thought that's what I said, ripping a DVD in the USA, or defeating
CSS in any way not licensed is a technical violation of the DMCA.
Even watching the disk on a Linux system is a violation.

Usually when you purchase a DVD drive it comes with software that is
licensed to play a DVD, but it's normally Windows or Mac software, so
playing it with that S/W would be legal. I also read somewhere about
a licensed Linux player, but ripping the disk is not legal at all as
I understand it.

This was not a "mistake". An attempt was made recently to get an
exception to the DMCA for backup or archival purposes and it was
specifically turned down.

I should pay more attention to emoticons, you are quite correct there.

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org