[mythtv-users] Fox Chicago (WLFD) OTA HD - Nearly unwatchable

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Mar 22 14:56:25 UTC 2007

Michael Wisniewski wrote:
> I currently subscribe to Wide Open West (WOW).  It's a different
> provider, but as far as I know, comcast should carry the HD over the
> cable un-encrypted.  Here's what I did...
>
> I plugged the coax into my tuner (KWorld ATSC-110.....the PCHDTV-5500
> should be able to work too).  I then configured myth to scan all
> channels and use QAM-256.  It picked up a bunch of channels, some
> encrypted and some not.  I won't lie though, it took a couple of days
> to figure things out.  I have to admit, the tools on the pchdtv web
> site helped tremendously.  If I remember correctly, they have a
> channel scanner.  When I used that, I figured out what kind of
> compression to use (QAM-256).  I'd suggest checking out the
> utils/tools on the site first...just to see if it works.  If
> everything is good, then MythTV should work fine with it.

The procedure for this is discussed in the wiki under Howto -> Adding
Digital Cable Channels.

All of the tuning/testing is done outside myth, with a view to
determining what channels you *CAN* get from your cable, and what the
proper parameters are. You can then poke those values into the database,
or run a scan in myth, and use the front end channel editor to change
things where necessary. Knowing the channels also allows you to select a
proper lineup on labs.zap2it.com.

Geoff

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury