[mythtv-users] HDTV shows are squished

Jason Kleeh jk-myth at kleeh.com
Thu Mar 22 13:05:17 UTC 2007

Myth is treating my 16:9 HDTV as if it had a 4:3 aspect ratio.  All the
screen fonts and menus look OK but when I watch a 16:9 HD show I get
horizontal bars instead of full-screen.  I assume the TV (or possibly the
receiver I use to switch HDMI inputs) is sending incorrect EDID info.  I
tried adding the following lines to my xorg.conf file but it didn't help.
Any ideas?
  Option    "UseEdidDpi"  "FALSE"
  Option    "DPI"  "100 x 100"
  OPtion    DisplaySize  487 274

My next step in troubleshooting is to use powerstrip to create a custom
modeline for the TV.  And disable EDID completely.  As a side question can
I use may windows laptop with powerstrip or do modelines need to be
created for specific video card and TV combinations?

Thanks,
Jason