[mythtv-users] New to building computers and MythTV

Thom Paine painethom at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 01:44:09 UTC 2007

Since I didn't see this suggested in the thread yet, I'll add mine.

In trying to get the WAF factor up, I started with a combined FE/BE. I
dumped a few drives in my machine, dropped in two tuners and started
from there.
The machine was a bit loud, partly because there were 3 hard drives in
it, and there were too many fans for my liking.
I put it behind the entertainment unit (I have a corner one so it fit)
and I ran the IR sensor up beside the tv.

WAF was on the rise, so I received additional funding in the following
years budget and was able to replace the noise FE/BE with a nice quite
FE. It still sits behind the tv since it fits nice back there and I
added another 1000G of storage to the backend.

For a machine that started recording two or three shows per day, my
setup is pulling in about 15-20 and autodeleting some as new ones are
added (like Diego and Rolie Polie Olie for my 2 yr old) so there is
always fresh content for him, but I don't have to allocate too much
hard drive space for his shows.

I am starting to keep alot of recordings, and friends are stopping by
to visit and they ask if I still have a particular show recorded for
an episode they missed.

I am in the process of switching from analogue cable (the easiest to
start with) to satellite tv (you have to record everything on channel
3 and make an ir blaster change the channel on the satellite) and
hopefully my blaster will be here by the weekend.

Other things to note is to pick a Linux Distro you are either
comfortable with, or one that friends have, so that you can ask for
assistance.

There are two distrobutions that are geared to newcomers, those being
MythDora (Mythtv on Fedora Core) and KnoppMyth (Knoppix with Mythtv).
I use Fedora Core myself but not the MythDora. I've tried other
distro's but kept coming back to Fedora because I'm familiar with it.
There is an excellent guide at http://wilsonet.com/mythtv if you so
choose to use that one.

--
-=/>Thom