[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun for SDTV?

jason maxwell decepticon at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 18:09:04 UTC 2007

On 3/21/07, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:
> jason maxwell wrote:
> > BTW, why are some people so violently opposed to top posting?
>
> I don't want to start a war about this (again), but I thought I'd point
> out a few things you might not have thought of.
> >  However, most email clients these days place the cursor at the top by default.
> >
> That's true.  Not top posting *does* mean sacrificing a little
> convenience when you make a reply, in exchange for the future
> convenience of readers.  But since you're only writing the reply once,
> and other people will be reading it many times in the future, it seems
> like a fair trade.  Also, people who top post tend not to trim their
> quotes, which makes for excessively long messages where it's not always
> clear what points are being addressed.  Having to scroll down to post
> makes it more likely that the unnecessary bits will get trimmed out.
>
> > This makes it much easier to read a concise reply since you dont have
> > to first scroll past all the previous posts.
>
> That's only easier if you've already *seen* all the previous posts.
> When someone in the future is looking at the message in an archive or
> search engine, they may not have seen the whole thread.  Top-posting
> makes the flow of the conversation harder to see.  Also, the convention
> here is inline, so when someone top-posts, it inevitably means the
> message is a mixture of top- and inline-posting.  That can be really
> confusing when someone reads the message later; they have to sort of
> start in the middle, read down, then skip back to the top, to get the
> proper chronological flow.
>
> > I top post for the sake of convenience and wish the few that take offense
> > would just deal with it and not try to force their personal
> > preferences on everyone else.
> >

> It's not personal preference, it's the list convention.  It's behaving
> in a manner that others expect and are accustomed to.  I trust if you
> ever visit England, you won't drive on the right side of the road
> because it's convenient and demand that everyone else just deal with it. ;)

Which is why i'm not going to be a dick about it. It doesnt bother me
much either way. I just find it funny that some folks feel we would
have world peace if only less people would top post. I'm certainly not
trying to start a flame war here, nor is my intention to pick on any
one individual. With so many years of email, and mailing list archive
research under my belt, I've found in most cases it's best to read (or
at least skim) entire threads. Otherwise, you will never know what's
going on, especially with multiple responses to the same post,
branches into lengthy subthreads, and the inevitible mixture of
top/bottom/inline posting. See what I did with this innocent thread
about the HDHR? :)
-J