[mythtv-users] Blu-Ray/HD-DVD versus MythTV HD recordings

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Mar 21 15:27:17 UTC 2007

On Mar 21, 2007, at 8:13 AM, jedi at mishnet.org wrote:

>     Better quality is always nice. But that's always going to be at
> odds with disk space and recording time. Sure, the idea of a really
> wicked high res movie does have some attraction. OTOH, that's measured
> against 4 DVDs, 12 hours of high quality SD recordings, or 48 hours of
> reasonable quality transcoded SD recordings.
>
>     A lot of people are already used to Tivo basic quality recordings.

I think the "standard" for what consumers will accept was set a long
time ago by VHS machines. I can't recall ever hearing anyone say
"gee, if only I had more resolution on this movie I rented for $5".

It never ceases to astound me what crap people will put up with. NTSC
is a lousy system but most homes never even get close to what the
system is capable of delivering.

Analog cable captured by a $50 PVR card actually looks pretty darned
good, certainly quite "watchable" by any standard.

>> It continues to amaze me what less than 1K$ will buy for a home video
>> system.
>>
>> The problem, as always, is finding something worth recording.
>
>     Cast a wide net, see what you catch. 9 in 10 things will get
> thrown back (thus the absurd level of storage needed) but you will
> manage to catch that 1 in 10 item you NEVER would have thought to
> consider.
>
>      ...you might not want to admit to anyone that you enjoyed it.
> But that's another matter...

My main problem is that I have stuff I recorded literally a year ago
and haven't got around to watching yet, but I can't bring myself to
delete it. I off it to DVDs but still like to keep it online.

So I buy more hard drives, stupid I guess, but there are worse habits
to have I suppose.

Just yesterday I spent more on books then I have spent on hard drives
in the last 6 months.