[mythtv-users] nfs related frontend issues

John Goulah jgoulah at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 15:00:26 UTC 2007

On 3/21/07, Rich West <Rich.West at wesmo.com> wrote:

> John Goulah wrote:
> > <snip>
> >  Sorry for the slow reply.  I have the archving turned on for  mailing
> > list and for some reason I cant login and the send password isn't
> > working.
> >

> > Anyway, to clear a few things up:
> >
> >  - I am running debian (not redhat) , no firewall is running b/c my
> > network is internal and behind a firewall
> >
> > Maybe we are onto something with the automount, I am mounting as an
> > example like this:
> >
> > thecus:/raid/data/videos /mnt/thecus_video nfs
> > nfsvers=2,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,soft,auto,actimeo=0
> >

> > I'm not seeing much in the logs but I'll take a closer look.  Should I
> > disable the automount and see if that helps?
>
> Actually, that looks more like you are just doing a direct NFS mount.
> Autofs (automounter) is a process in which the system will automatically
> mount a file system as you access it, providing that information is in
> the main database (be it within NIS (yp), LDAP, or some other back end),
> and it will automatically *unmount* that file system after a set period
> of time of inactivity.
>
> Not too familiar with Debian myself so I don't know what NFS version it
> supports.  I see that you are forcing it to NFSv2 (v2 is UDP-only),
> using a soft mount (allowing for a timeout of access to the volume
> before returning an I/O error), disabling all file attribute caching
> (for performance), forcing read/write to 8MB chunks (default), and I
> don't believe the "auto" option does anything.
>
> One thing to try is to just use the defaults for the mount and see if
> that helps.  If it does, then slowly introduce each of the options to
> see which one is the culprit.
>
> I run with the defaults, mostly.  I just specify "actimeo=0".
>
> -Rich

Thanks for the input.  I can try removing some of the options and seeing if
it helps anything.  I believe the reason I specified version to was because
I'm using a Thecus N5200 RAID device which I think was only letting me mount
via version 2.  Auto is mounting at startup so I dont have to specifically
mount when I reboot.