[mythtv-users] nfs related frontend issues

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Wed Mar 21 14:37:50 UTC 2007

John Goulah wrote:
> <snip>
>  Sorry for the slow reply.  I have the archving turned on for  mailing
> list and for some reason I cant login and the send password isn't
> working.
>

> Anyway, to clear a few things up:
>
>  - I am running debian (not redhat) , no firewall is running b/c my
> network is internal and behind a firewall
>
> Maybe we are onto something with the automount, I am mounting as an
> example like this:
>
> thecus:/raid/data/videos /mnt/thecus_video nfs
> nfsvers=2,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,soft,auto,actimeo=0
>

> I'm not seeing much in the logs but I'll take a closer look.  Should I
> disable the automount and see if that helps?

Actually, that looks more like you are just doing a direct NFS mount.
Autofs (automounter) is a process in which the system will automatically
mount a file system as you access it, providing that information is in
the main database (be it within NIS (yp), LDAP, or some other back end),
and it will automatically *unmount* that file system after a set period
of time of inactivity.

Not too familiar with Debian myself so I don't know what NFS version it
supports.  I see that you are forcing it to NFSv2 (v2 is UDP-only),
using a soft mount (allowing for a timeout of access to the volume
before returning an I/O error), disabling all file attribute caching
(for performance), forcing read/write to 8MB chunks (default), and I
don't believe the "auto" option does anything.

One thing to try is to just use the defaults for the mount and see if
that helps.  If it does, then slowly introduce each of the options to
see which one is the culprit.

I run with the defaults, mostly.  I just specify "actimeo=0".

-Rich