[mythtv-users] Is there a good hardware upnp client?

Craig Partin cpartin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 02:38:04 UTC 2007

> I'm looking into the same thing here.
>
> I'm tossing up between converting an xbox into an xbox media centre (I
> beleive that has uPnP), or a dedicated media player, like the D-Link
> media player (http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/460098470abb50a42742c0a87f9c06e4/Product/View/XH8230)
>
> I dont actually have an xbox at the moment, so I'll have to buy one -
> I have done some investigations on ebay, and reckon the whole
> excercise (xbox plus stuff to mod it + shipping) will cost at least
> $150. The D-link media player thing will cost $350. I'm kind of
> leaning towards the D-Link way, just because I'd like to have
> something which just worked out of the box - I'm not sure if I want
> another home-brew thing which may need maintenance. Plus, I have
> little interest in the xbox for games.
>
> Has anyone else looked into this? Is an xbox much good as a media
> centre/uPnP add on for myth?

It sounds like you may be thinking of the original xbox which will
only play standard def programming and does not do upnp as far as I
know.

The xbox 360 does do upnp but is not fully functional with myth right
now.  I believe there is some development work on it.  Hacks are
starting to appear that would possibly allow linux to run on the 360
so it may be possible to use it as a front end.