[mythtv-users] Gnome + MythTv + Beryl problem with full screen

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Mar 21 00:09:49 UTC 2007

On 03/20/2007 02:23 AM, Janne Kalliokorpi wrote:
> Mark Kendall wrote:
>> On 3/18/07, Janne Kalliokorpi <janne.kalliokorpi at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all, I'm running Ubuntu 6.10 with Linux desktop (gnome), mythtv
>>> frontedn and  mythtv backend. I just recently installed Beryl and I have
>>> to say I love the damn thing :) There's just one problem, myth frontend
>>> won't load in "fullscreen" anymore. No matter what I try, there's always
>>> the top and the bottom panels showing on top of the myth frontend.. For
>>> example totem and mplayer doesn't have this problem when initiating the
>>> fullscreen.
>> This has been covered recently:-
>>
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/254608?search_string=beryl;#254608
> Yes, this is a solution if you are using KDE, but I haven't found this
> "Allow other windows to cover the panel" in Gnome. Am I just being
> blind ? :)

No.  You're just making other people do the search for you.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/239570#239570  It
wasn't even hard to think of the search terms--"GNOME beryl" (no quotes).

Oh, and this is in NO way, whatsoever, a Myth issue (so please stop all
the me-too posts on #3109).  If the WM doesn't let Myth use the full
screen and the user wants Myth to use the full screen, whose fault is
it?  (I'll give you a hint, it's either the WM or the user's fault, and
we've all heard the saying, "The customer is always right.")

If you don't like the hacks already mentioned on the list, my
recommendation is to switch WM's.  And, even if you don't mind the hacks
and want to continue using Beryl, I highly recommend dumping GNOME (or
for others, KDE) and using the WM without a desktop environment.  If
you're really looking for something to use up those resources on your
computer, why not BOINC instead of a DE.  BOINC also has the benefit
that it only uses otherwise unused resources--whereas GNOME and KDE use
up resources that your other apps can often benefit from having.

Mike