[mythtv-users] Blu-Ray/HD-DVD versus MythTV HD recordings

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Mar 20 15:39:20 UTC 2007

On Mar 20, 2007, at 9:06 AM, Boleslaw Ciesielski wrote:

> Brian Wood wrote:
>> Add to that the MPEG transport used by the networks and you have MPEG
>> artifacts that any discriminating viewer will see, most often in
>> unpredictable motion like sports.
>
> What do you mean by that? As long as there no uncorrectable errors,
> the
> MPEG transport should not affect image quality, no?

No.

I'm not sure where to even start on that one, as ANY compression
scheme will degrade the original video, by definition. Even the best
DVDs are full of mpeg artifacts if you know what to look for.

You can reduce the problems, but not eliminate them. I suppose if all
you were to transmit were complete I-frames then you would have no
artifacts, but also no compression.

Correcting "errors" just means that you get out what you put in,
artifacts and all.