[mythtv-users] Blu-Ray/HD-DVD versus MythTV HD recordings

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 12:41:51 UTC 2007

On 3/19/07, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/19/07, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
> > Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> says:
> > > I would certainly not buy a PS3 just for a Myth frontend, but if you
> > > are looking for the cheapest BR player available, and also get a
> > > machine that can run Linux and perhaps Myth, it's certainly a
> > > bargain.
> >
> > Speaking of Blu-Ray, how do recordings on Blu-Ray (and HD-DVD) discs
> > look compared to what MythTV can do with undiluted recordings from
> > high-bandwidth HD cable channels over FireWire, or via ATSC? I realize
> > that the discs offer the potential for 1080p versus 1080i for cable
> > (or ATSC), but does this actually make a difference in practice?  What
> > if a good-quality scaler like Bob is used?
>

> I assume you mean purchased BluRay/HD-DVD discs. They are much much
> much better than anything you will see on TV.
> They are encoded at 1080p with h264 at a higher bitrate than broadcast
> mpeg2. A typical 1.5hr movie can be somewhere around 25-30GB in h264.
> On top of that, they support lossless surround sound.
>
> Of course, on anything smaller than say 50" you probably won't notice
> much difference in detail between these and a properly upscaled DVD.
> Though the extra color information and better black levels would be
> apparent if your screen is capable of displaying at this level.
>
> the short of it, if you have a small or older HDTV don't worry about
> either format unless you want to start buying the movies now for a
> future large HDTV purchase.
>
> Personally, I'd say wait until the proper dual-format players start
> coming out and drop to around $800 or lower.
>
> --
> Steve

I have a 1080p 47 inch LCD display and a PS3 that I watch blueray disc on,
so I think I can answer the question.  Speaking about image quality: Blueray
discs are significantly better then upscaled DVD's.  There is no comparison
between the two.  1080p blue ray compared to OTA ATSC (720p or 1080i) there
is much less of an improvement but it is still noticeable.  Some ATSC
recordings show compression artifacts.  Like live sporting events often show
significantly noticeable artifacts.  So far blueray has no artifacts.  Of
course any lossless compression is capable of artifacting.

Keep in mind many movies/shows will be limited by the source material.  For
instance there would be little point in upgrading a DVD collection of "the
Three Stooges" or "the Honeymooners" to blueray.

I can't speak to the sound quality improvement.  My sound is limited to
dolby pro logic.