[mythtv-users] Vid Card Recommendation

Indulis Bernsteins indulis.b at au1.ibm.com
Tue Mar 20 09:14:32 UTC 2007

Mike,

S-Video is noticably better than composite.  Component is better than
S-Video.  VGA is better than Component (?).  DVI/HDMI is better than VGA
*only* if you can get the TV to not overscan or otherwise stuff up your
nice picture.

If you can do S-Video, stick with this rather than composite. I tested
S-Video over composite using the DVD "The Fifth Element" (Superbit
version), and you could see about 2 to 3x the number of stars in the
starfield at the start of the film.

 If you can easily upgrade to any other interface instead of S-Video, do
(15 yard runs of VGA cable using good quality cable can still be v v
good).

I am using an nVidia 6200A which you can get as a passive cooled card
(usually on eBay but you might get lucky with surplus sellers), seems OK.
I am driving it as a normal computer monitor via VGA, then S-Video to
composite adapter, and composite to my TV in the other room, and am about
to change this around to a VGA to the other room.

Cheers,

Indulis